Employment and Trainings
Working for Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center
To work for Thompson Island Outward Bound Educational Center, one must believe in our mission and realize that it takes a multi-talented, flexible and well-coordinated team to run Thompson Island and our programs. That team includes Outward Bound instructors and support staff, our waterfront and boat crew, maintenance and grounds crew, food service staff, Thompson Island Conference Center staff, and our administrative departments: Development, Communications, Accounting and Sales. Although most positions listed here are based on Thompson Island in the Boston Harbor, many key staff members are also employed at our mainland office in South Boston (these positions are most often listed under “Administration”).
Our Hiring Process
- Interested individuals are encouraged to email a cover letter and current resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include which position you are applying for in your email or cover letter and how you first heard about Thompson Island.
- The Staffing Department will do its best to contact all qualified applicants who have expressed interest in a specific position in a reasonable amount of time, to answer any questions, request additional materials needed for consideration and/or to schedule a preliminary interview.
- All applicants are asked to solicit at least 2 professional references using the TIOBEC reference form: TIOBEC Reference Form 2013-2014 and request willing referrals to submit by email or mail directly back to Thompson Island’s Staffing Department (instructions for this included on form).
*Applicants for Expedition and Specialist positions are also asked to fill out an Outward Bound Field Staff Application.
- We begin reviewing resumes in December, and will call qualified applicants who have submitted all requested materials around the third week of January.
- Most employment decisions for spring facilitations positions and those considered expedition or specialist positions will be made in February. In most cases, those for Summer Connections, Green Ambassadors as well as any Internship offers, will happen between March and April.
We offer exceptional trainings for each of our specific program areas and continue to encourage staff development throughout the working season. Occasionally we will open trainings to outdoor educators, aspiring teachers and prospective staff hoping to gain insight into the work we do on Thompson Island.
SOLO Wilderness First Aid (WFA) and WFR re-cert will be offered on Thompson Island in April of 2014
Course will provide students with industry recognized WFA Certification or recertification for individuals holding a current Wilderness First Responder. We will begin enrolling this course in January – please check back then for more details and updated registration requirements.
Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center (TIOBEC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer
TIOBEC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. TIOBEC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.